Common Pesticides in the Home

I don’t usually use any pesticides at all in my personal garden but a member wrote this article on an older version of the website and I wanted to recycle it by posting it up here on the new version of the website.

Gardening is a great hobby; great for our planet and dinner tables, but it is also an exercise in patience. The seedbed preparation, planting the seeds, watering them and waiting to see the little signs of green life. Then there is the awkward period between germination and maturity, and finally, get to literally reap the fruits of your labor.

If that were not hard enough, picture a freeloading pest consuming your produce or tarnishing your beautiful flowers after months of hard work. This brings us to the all-important, and environment-friendly discussion on organic pesticides.

This is any way to keep your food or flower garden from being damaged by pests or being eaten by small animals. The main distinction when it comes to organic pesticides is that they decompose more easily in the environment than chemical or commercial pesticides. Let us explore!

SPRAYS

These vary in price, complexity and are available locally in each corner of the globe. One fascinating thing about nature is that each ecosystem provides almost all that it needs to self sustain.

Oil Sprays - This is an effective method as the oil coats the insects and suffocates them. It is also easy to make as the ingredients are readily available in almost every household: two parts vegetable oil to one part dish soap/baby shampoo. Then mix a tablespoon of the solution to a liter of water in a spray bottle, and aim it at the offending pests.

Tobacco Sprays - Mix one cup of loose tobacco with about 4 liters of water. Again, let the mixture sit for 24 hours. The color should resemble light black tea. Thereafter, add 4 teaspoons of dish soap, add to a spray bottle, aim, and fire away!

Onion/Chillie/Garlic/Mint Sprays - Mix together equal parts of the plants. Blend or crush them into a paste. Add it to about 500ml of water, and let the mixture sit for 24 hours. Filter out the vegetable paste, then put the water in a spray bottle for use in your garden.

VASELINE

Yes, is there anything more versatile than vaseline! Its uses range from hair and machine grease to healing of wounded skin and preventing nappy rash.

It is just as good for your plant babies. For plants under attack by aphids, with ants as their natural protectors, vaseline applied on the base of the stem prevents the ants from climbing the plant. This can be used in combination with the sprays to totally annihilate aphids.

ANIMAL CONTROL

Feed your fowls and get rid of your pests! They are organic, they do consume pests, and they are tasty too! Chickens scratch up the ground and eat insects in the pupal stage, and ducks eat pests such as slugs. Mix up your domestic flora with some fauna, though, at some stage, you may have to kick the birds out of the vegetable patch as they have quite a taste for greens.

Hello!

Wow, what an abundance of amazing ideas! I have to say, I have never thought of Vaseline as an option for protecting your plants. It does make sense, but I also can imagine it’s a mess in your garden, haha.

I had heard through the grapevine that there are some other methods that help with your plants. For example, spraying a mixture of water and vinegar can help keep animal pests away from your plants, as they are repulsed by the scent.

I also had heard some stories that certain composts can help protect your plants naturally from being attacked by pests of any kind.

I am sure there are many different ways, but your post was really intriguing to read, thank you!