Edible Privacy Hedge, Best Plants for Privacy and Food

Edible Privacy Hedge, Best Plants for Privacy and Food

Through edible landscaping techniques, you can create an edible privacy hedge in your yard. Growing your own organic food for better health while also connecting your home and self with nature. Keep reading to see my recommended edible plants for creating a privacy hedge. Check the end of the article for photographs of each plant.

Privacy & Food

I’m in the process of creating a hedge in my yard right now. Even though I’m still in the beginning stages of research, I wanted to share some of the ideas I’ve had and a list of edible plants that will work great as a privacy hedge. My ultimate goal for this new hedge is privacy and food.

Best Edible Privacy Hedge Plants

• Highbush Blueberry
    The “highbush” types of blueberry are exactly like the name says, high bushes. They grow anywhere from 6 to 12 feet tall, so pick a variety that will reach the desired height that you’re looking for. Highbush blueberry plants have a blue-green color in the summer and a pinkish-red or yellow color in the fall. Most highbush varieties grow better in colder climates, but there are southern varieties that grow well for people in hotter climates.

• Blackberry
    Blackberry plants are extremely easy to grow, so they are great for beginner gardeners. They also grow very fast, so they are a great choice if you want your edible privacy hedge up quickly. These plants grow best in USDA hardiness zones eight and nine. You can choose between blackberry varieties with and without thorns. Blackberry plants can vine easily between common metal fencings like chicken wire or cattle panel.

• Grapes
    One cool thing about grapes is that they can be grown in so many different hardiness zones, from zone 3 all the way to zone 10. Another good thing is that most grape varieties are self-fertile. Grapes come in many varieties so it won’t be hard to find one for your climate. Plant your grapevines in the early spring for the best results. Grapes are often heavily pruned at the end of their growing seasons, or around fall.

• Feijoa
    Feijoas are a hearty fruit that’s easy to grow. They are great looking plants with beautiful flowers. Feijoa grows best in warm subtropical areas. The fruit tastes great and is really sweet. The skin of the fruit is edible as well, but its tart. Feijoa trees are commonly used in hedges. Feijoas grown from seed are not true to type, so make sure you grow it from a cutting that is known to produce fruit. The recommended grow zone for feijoa is zones 8 through 11.

• Coffee
    Coffee plants can get pretty big, they grow into medium-sized trees at 6 foot tall. They grow in zones 9 to 11 and are native to tropical areas of Africa and Asia. Coffee plants require heavy watering, but they don’t like heavy all-day sunlight. The plants grow great in humid areas. Coffee beans are expensive, so growing your own coffee plant hedge could be a good idea to save money. They flower in the spring and produce white flowers. It takes two and a half months for coffee beans to germinate, so it’s probably a better idea to buy a live plant if you don’t want to wait.

Closing

When it comes to edible privacy hedges, you have endless options. What are some plants that you would recommend for an edible landscape? Which plant from my list is your favorite? Keep following Plant Growers Club for more gardening articles!

Very informative post! My favorite by far would be the coffee plant since I am an avid coffee consumer and connoisseur, but I am unsure how much success I’d have growing my own in Chicago. :frowning:

Below is information on some of my personal favorite privacy hedges based on what I can see myself enjoying on a nice day. :slight_smile:

• Asparagus
    I love the versatility of asparagus. I use it in pasta and rice dishes, as well as simply braising some spears on a skillet. According to Gardens All, asparagus is a perennial that can take up to three years for edible spears to grow, so they must be planted and nurtured with care.

• Rosemary
    Increasingly popular in beauty products, as well as cooking, rosemary has a calming scent and can add earthy depth to dishes when combined with complementary ingredients. Rosemary plants grow best in warmer areas, and their hedges range in height from 3 to 5 feet tall.

• Nanking Cherry
    Mmmm…cherry pie, cherry turnovers, cherries by themselves, or muddled cherry in an Old Fashioned. The Nanking cherry variety is large, growing between 9 to 15 feet tall and wide. The shrubs can be trimmed into hedges when planted 4 feet apart.

Source: https://www.gardensall.com/edible-hedges-for-privacy-and-food/

1 Like

Love all these options! Rosemary would be very high on my list. I use it in almost everything I cook; potatoes, salads, pasta, even on bread with some olive oil! You really only need a small amount for that amazing piney citrus flavor. It’s such a hearty and easy-to-grow shrub with beautiful flowers, it would make a perfect hedge that’s super simple to maintain. I’ve also made my own tincture with rosemary and given it to friends and family as a gift.
A hedge that gives you privacy, a tasty and versatile herb and a calming fragrance? It’s a win-win-win for me.

1 Like