Pepper Plant Grow Guide

Growing peppers is an easy, fun, and rewarding process. Peppers grow fast and I’ve never had much trouble with them. I would consider them a beginner-friendly plant.

• Pepper Plant Pests: The biggest issue I’ve had with my pepper plants is leaf-footed bugs. They have been difficult to control and reproduce quickly. Removing by hand (with gloves or tweezers) can be an effective method but it takes a lot of time to kill them all. Try not to mistake leaf-footed bugs with assassin bugs. Assassin bugs are beneficial while leaf-footed bugs are not. Assassin bugs are typically alone while leaf-footed bugs are in large packs.

• When to Plant: Most pepper plants enjoy a full growing season. Plant peppers right after your areas last frost. If you want to start them early, start them indoors or in a temperature-controlled environment. If your house is cold, you can use a seed matt or heating pad to keep them warm.

• Germination: They do great from seeds with a high germination rate, although I do live in the deep south. People in other climates would probably do better starting from live plants. It takes roughly one week for pepper seeds to germinate.

• What type of soil?: Make sure your soil drains well because pepper plants do not like soggy soil. Your soil should be rich with nutrients, add compost if it’s not but be careful of excessive nitrogen. Loam soil is a good idea, use equal parts of clay, silt, sand, and compost. You can use stakes to help support the pepper plants when they fruit.

• How to Preserve?: Peppers can be preserved by drying, freezing, or pickling. Making a hot sauce with fresh peppers is my favorite option, with dehydrating coming in second. If you make hot sauce, make sure your brine water ratio is optimal for your taste. If you dehydrate them, they dry faster if you slice them in halves first. You can also save seeds from peppers to grow more.

What are your favorite varieties of pepper plants? How do you like to grow them? Do you prefer sweet or spicy peppers?

Hello!

I love growing peppers, even though I don’t like to eat them myself. My favourite project was growing one of the hottest peppers in the world, the ghost pepper, because of how challenging it was!

The plant itself was easy to grow, but it’s hot exterior actually did have an impact on the scent of the area around it. It was fantastic for getting rid of pests though!

We have raccoons that we love in our backyard, but at night they can be very destructive. The smell of a hot pepper seems to turn them away, and most of my yield actually lived that year!