Taking Pride In Your Planting!

Taking Pride In Your Planting!

One of the most interesting ways of describing one’s planting process is through a word called terroir. The easiest way to describe terrior is that it considers the environmental factors that impact a crop. This can be things like soil, climate, maintenance, etc. It’s a very interesting topic used mainly in viticulture, but also very useful in describing general planting as well!

What is everyone’s terroir for planting? What kind of climate or soil do you have? Have you learned any techniques that have helped improve planting in your specific area?

Let’s hear all about the different parts of the world, and how unique we all are in our agricultural process!

I live in south-eastern Australia where we get scorching hot Summers and cool, wet Winters, but no snow. We are quite fortunate here for most of the year. Plenty of sunshine and lots of rainfall means, for the most part, it’s easy to keep plants healthy and happy. But Summer time is a different story. After 3 or 4 consecutive 45 degree (approx 113 degrees Fahrenheit) it can be really hard to keep certain species going, even with multiple watering’s a day. As the climate changes, we are seeing even hotter, drier Summers here so investing in hardy heat-tolerant plants is a necessity. I love colorful flowering plants such as Australian natives like the Banksia, Kangaroo Paw or, my personal favorite; the Waratah. Plants that evolved here and have adapted to the harsh environment is the best option.

1 Like

I live in southern Louisiana, zone 9A. This is a great area to be in because I can plant year-round, almost any time I want for many plants. The summer heat can be brutal, so that’s something that I have to take into consideration. It rarely ever snows here, I think I’ve seen snow maybe 2 or 3 times in my entire life. The frosts are usually very light, and they quickly thaw out by the middle of the day.

The soil here has a bit of clay and can be overly compact, this makes it hard for healthy root growth. I amend my soil with compost that I make myself. Before I plant in the ground, I break up the soil with a spading fork. To keep the soil healthy, I always use a top layer of mulch. This top layer keeps the soil from getting too dry and helps to slowly feed the plants.